The Choir of St Mary's Cathedral is known as one of Australia’s great choirs and Australia's oldest permanent musical organisation. Its history dates from 1818 when a choir was formed to sing at masses celebrated for Catholic convicts. After the foundation of St Mary's Cathedral in 1833 this choir became a regular part of Cathedral worship.
The choristers have appeared in concert with the Brandenburg Orchestra and Sydney Youth Orchestra. In 2011 the Choir travelled to Rome to sing for the opening of Domus Australia and performed in the presence of His Holiness Pope Benedict.
Thomas Wilson moved to Sydney to take up the position of Director of Music at St Mary’s Cathedral in February 2010 following five years at Westminster Cathedral in London, firstly as Assistant Organist, and more recently as Precentor. Born in Hamilton, New Zealand, Thomas Wilson held positions at both the city’s Anglican and Roman Catholic Cathedrals before being appointed Director of Music at the Metropolitan Cathedral of the Sacred Heart in Wellington at the age of 18.
In October 2011 the Choir went on tour to Rome, singing for the opening of Domus Australia in of His Holiness Pope Benedict. The Choir has recently made two CD recordings. In 2013 Thomas was elected Associate of the Royal Academy of Music.
Orchestra of the Antipodes has played for Pinchgut Opera for every production since L’Orfeo in 2004, and in 2016 celebrates it’s fifteenth and sixteenth projects with this amazing chamber opera company.
Its members have played in many acclaimed and admired ensembles in Australia and world wide, including Les Arts Florissants, Orchestra of the Age of Enlightenment, Academy of Ancient Music, Florilegium, Concerto Copenhagen, Australian Chamber Orchestra, Amsterdam Baroque Orchestra, The English Concert, the Sydney, Melbourne and Tasmanian Symphony Orchestras, Australian Brandenburg Orchestra, Il Giardino Armonico, Les Talens Lyriques and the Venice Baroque Orchestra.
For all ticketing enquiries, please contact Ticketek via 132 849
For all other enquiries, please contact the Cathedral Music Department on 02 9220 0481